Friday, April 25, 2008

Tipping

Inspired by some discussion between Emily Jane and myself, I raise the question we have all been avoiding for years: Do we need to tip the people at Sonic?

On the one hand, it is just a fast food place, and they don't ask for tips at McDonald's or Burger King.
On the other, they do bring the food out to your car.

The same question could be asked about the tip cups at ice cream places that seem to be popping up like old girlfriends on Valentines Day. Aren't they just doing their job by getting me the ice cream?

Then again, waiters and barbers are just doing their job, and I always expect to tip them.

Then we have to ask ourselves, where does the tipping end?! The way we are going, will I eventually be tipping the librarian for helping me find a book? or the checker at the gro
cery store for scanning my food?

T
he answer to these questions may be the same as the answer to the question of how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop: the world may never know.

7 comments:

EEEJ said...

I think what bothers me the most is when they put something out begging for a tip. For example: When I went to Sonic the other day, the guy that brought my food to my car was wearing a sticker that said "I like tips". Well, buddy....I like tips too but I don't think wearing a sticker begging for them is really appropriate. Can't we all agree on that? As for the rest of the tip cups in the world...I mostly see some spare change and maybe a dollar or two in there. If you have to split that between the rest of your coworkers then I have to ask...Is it worth it? I don't think so....

Amanda Wilson said...

I avoid this situation by just going through the regular drive thru at Sonic. Then there is no tip for sure. Do they have happy hour from 2-4 everyday at the one in Provo? If so...you should try the strawberry limeade (I get it diet) and man it is good and it is only like $1. I go there a couple of times a week for them. Yummy!!

Rob said...

on E.J.'s comment, the dude seriously wore a shirt begging for tips? What a schweed. Come on. I liked you before you wore that. But just so you all know, in the czech rep, slovakia and probably lots of european countries, tipping practically doesn't exist. You're really paying for the food, not the service. So think of that if you feel bad for not tipping or leaving a meager tip

Rob said...

Oh, and just as another comment, Jon, you should write about the stupid word verification crap they have going on here. I mean, I get the point but I'm not doing anything wrong but I can't read the dang letters like half the friggin time! I wish I could draw some of the hieroglyphs I've seen, but seriously, they're so close together and it's worse than normal cursive. what a nuissance. point in case, I just failed one

Jonathan Wilson said...

Oh my gosh! Rob...i couldn't agree more. I had to type mine in like 3 times the other day. They really make it impossible. They have letters on top of each other and in weird fonts. Why can't they just put normal letters that are easy to read?

Amanda Wilson said...

That last comment that says jonathan wilson was really from me. Sorry.

Jen R. said...

Hi! About tipping...you see I was a waitress for much of my working career. People don't know that we are paid $2.15 an hour (well at least in Utah). Which means that after they take the taxes out, our paychecks are literally $0.00. The only money we make is from tips. I don't know about Sonic though and I totally agree with other people that you shouldn't ask for tips. I also don't think you should give crappy waitresses/waiters tips. I was a dang good waitress though!