Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Serving Size

Serving sizes must be made so that the food you're eating doesn't seem as bad for you as it really is. The other day I bought a cookie and on the package it said "Servings Per Container: 4"

I thought maybe it was an error, I mean, there was only one cookie in the bag, but no, the serving size was 1/4 cookie, and this was a very average size cookie.

I guess they wanted it to seem like the cookie only had 230 calories when it really had 920.

Matt just bought me a vitamin water (I thought I would "try it") and the servings per container is 2.5. I guess they would have felt dumb if the serving had 250% vitamin C so they cut down the serving size.

Once I bought a candy bar that was three serving sizes.

Well, in retrospect, maybe the food companies are trying to get us to share more. I mean, when I saw that the candy bar was supposed to be for three people, I kind of felt selfish eating it all by myself.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

2 newtons? who eats 2 newtons? i eat fig newtons by the sleeve!

how many did he have?

miles said...

That wouldn't happen to have been a Granny B pink sugar cookie would it? I almost wrote a blog entry about the exact same thing. 4 servings. Hmph.

jonhintze said...

yes, it was a granny b!

Amanda said...

dr. rhees (the best physiology teacher at byu) tells a story about those killer cookies. who knew you could get 1/2 of your daily allowance of calories in one nice little package? in all honesty though, i'm still trying to figure out how on earth there really are that many calories in there- i mean, is it just pure lard or what?

jonhintze said...

I don't care what's in it. They are gooood! If I die young, at least I will have eaten good cookies in life.

Amanda Wilson said...

So I was making cookies tonight and as I was spraying the pan with pam I noticed that the serving size says 1/3 second spray...what? Who knows what 1/3 of a second is, and shouldn't the length of the spray be based on what you are spraying...mini muffins, entire cookie sheet, skillet...then the amount of servings in the container said: about 529. Anyway, I thought this was a little humorous.