Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Just Not Like That

If you heard the following conversation, you would probably know exactly what Jill is trying to say:

Jan: "Hey Jill, I heard through the grapevine that Bill is going to ask you out!"
Jill: "Oh, that's nice..."
Jan: "What's the matter? Don't you like him."
Jill: "I do. Just not like that."

Hmm, just not like that? I can't really say that this phrase is womanese since guys use it too, which luckily means that everyone understands it, except maybe people who learned English as a second language.

The same people might also have a tough time interpreting the following phrases of yesteryear:

"No Duh" or "No Doy"
"Talk to the hand"
"Sike!"
"Peace out"
"Aiight"
"As if"
"Hecka" (in Utah at least. Yes, this is a clean blog)
"Phat"
"The bomb"
"Not!" (tagged on after a sentence)
"How come?" (meaning "What?"...I guess we still say this, but it doesn't really make sense)

Anyway, some of those we should try to bring back. Others, me might try to forget about.

4 comments:

Amanda Wilson said...

Add to the list, yo, and booyah! I work with a guy that still says these all the time.

Chris said...

How come you say "phrases of yesteryear". I use all of those phat phrases in my everyday conversations, aight? They're the bomb.

Peace out.

Nana/Mom said...

Wow I'm showing my age. Looks like a foreign language.

Rob said...

booyakasha!