Friday, July 18, 2008

Sleep Theories

I have two sleep theories based on personal observations.

1. The benefits of sleep follow the pattern outlined in this graph. It basically says that there isn't a lot of benefit from getting only a few hours of sleep, but the jump between getting six and seven hours of sleep is a huge difference. And between seven and eight is a big difference too, but after eight the benefits don't increase much, and even start to go down. When you get more than nine hours of sleep, you just feel like a loser the rest of the day.

2. When you don't get very much sleep, the effects are stronger the following day, and not the day that you got little sleep. So if you only get four hours of sleep, that day you may not be too tired, but the day after you will be drained, even if you get lots of sleep that night. That's why two nights before a test is when I try to get a good nights rest.

Of course, neither of these are tested (by me at least, maybe someone out there has proven them true or false) but they seem true to me.

3 comments:

Jen R. said...

One other sleep related thing I've learned is that even if you get "enough" sleep it also matters when you get it. At times I've stayed up all night long, then slept all day long...and even though I "caught up" it kicks my butt for like a week. Especially cause then it's hard to go to sleep at the correct time after you just slept all day and all this other stuff.

Carter said...

Did you make that graph yourself? Kinda like 2 years ago when you made that graph for the Cardinals? I forgot exactly what that one was about, but it was really funny.

Rob said...

that graph looks pretty accurate. I am still trying to figure out what my ideal amount is. I think it's more than 8 hours