Monday, July 21, 2008

Records

"The Dark Knight" recently broke records, a box office record of $66.4M among others. However, it seems like every year movies are breaking records. Why could that be possibly? Hmm, I wonder. Could it be that we are completely ignoring a little thing I like to call "inflation"?

Maybe this is the economist in me, but if I were the one keeping the record books, I would adjust all records set in the US and elsewhere for the inflation in each represented country. It only makes sense. I mean, a movie in the 40's never could have made $66.4M so quickly, even if twice as many people went to see it as saw "The Dark Knight."

For similar reasons, I don't think it is fair to compare athletes from different eras. When people try to say "John Doe was the greatest tennis player that ever played," it's hard for me to really swallow that. Who knows if he was the best. He never played any of the greats from other eras.

Not only are the players constantly changing, but in a lot of sports rules even change, and conditions, not to mention hair styles and shorts length. I only think its fair to assign a player, "the greatest player of his time" titles. Like Michael Jordan for example. He was the greatest basketball player of his time. But we don't need to waste time comparing him to people that played decades before him, nor do we need to compare him to next years rookies.

But that's just my opinion.

8 comments:

Rebekah said...

i hate inflation. you know what else i hate? high gas prices. i know people talk about that too much, but i just wanted to make a point that i really really hate it.

Carter said...

touche Jon.

Jen R. said...

ditto!

miles said...

I was wondering when someone would point that out.

Kevin said...

Jon, you're the best. And you will always be the best, of all eras and no matter how much we inflate.

Rob said...

good point Jon. Have you seen the dark knight yet?

Il Bello said...

Michael. Is...was...will be. I don't care what anyone says. He is air jordan...

Michael said...

Jon, if this is your way of taking a jab at the Dark Knight then I don't like it. That movie is amazing. And stop talking foolishness, we all know Michael Jordan is the greatest player OF ALL TIME!