Monday, September 15, 2008

Mission: Impossible

I am an optimist. I am also a realist. I know what I am capable of and I know my limitations. When people say "anything is possible," it is both somewhat true and completely false. Anything is possible, that is realistic. For example, if I put my mind to it, I could probably become a police officer. It is realistic.

However, no matter how bad I want it, I will never be able to become a wolverine, or an alligator. Anything isn't possible.

Apparently nobody had this little talk with "the tiger man" who has decided to tattoo his whole body and mold his teeth so that he looks like a tiger.

Hollywood apparently wants us to believe that anything really is possible. Peter Pan flying to a star, that somewhere along the way turns into a tiny planet where only boys and pirates live. Or why, in any race sequence, does the good guy get behind, somehow have a burst of speed to catch up to the opponent, and then suddenly only be able to keep pace until the last second? Sometimes the message is subliminal. I mean, have you ever noticed. The name of the movie is "Mission:Impossible" and yet he is able to do it. Hmm...

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."
(The Bible)

Alice: I simply must get through!
Doorknob: Sorry, you're much too big. Simply impassible.
Alice: You mean impossible?
Doorknob: No, impassible. Nothing's impossible.
(Alice in Wonderland)

Bothsources of truth confirm that nothing is impossible

Nana/Mom said...

Hmmmmm. I just finished teaching a seminary lesson about "With God nothing is impossible. Should I add an addendum tomorrow???

jonhintze said...

I knew people were going to struggle with this idea...

I understand that with God nothing is impossible, but again, we have to understand that there are some things that God cannot do. For example:

For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.
(Alma 45:16; D&C 1:31)

Does that mean there is something that God cannot do? Or how about this- Can God let an unrepentant sinner into heaven? Of course not. So is anything possible?

Kevin said...

I don't think God would help me move a mountain if my purpose was to crush the so-cal, OC peeps. But man, I really wish anything was possible. Just kidding.

Il Bello said...

umm. I peed my pants from laughter. Well..not really... it's possible I could have though...anything is possible...within reason... and if it's coming from the rhetoric of Jon Hintze.