Sunday, October 5, 2008

Literally

Vizzini: "He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"
Inigo: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means."

Yes, well I suggest another word that is commonly misused: literally.

How many times have you heard someone say something like, "I saw my score and I was literally bouncing of the walls!" Or how about, "That was a rough interview. He literally chewed her out!"

Ironically, in these situations "literally" has come to mean "figuratively." But if I hear another person use that word wrong I will hit them so hard they will literally be launched all the way to China.

No, I'm just kidding, it doesn't even bother me really. It's just funny to think about.

Kind of like how when someone says "Say when" we say "when" and we're not even trying to be funny. I bet whoever made that up thought it was really funny, but everyone stole his joke, so much so that it's not even a joke anymore.

1 comment:

Il Bello said...

seriously. That's so funny. Seriously....