Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bananas


This week I bought two bananas at the store, so that none of them would go bad. I ate one, and the other one went bad before I could get to it.

I love bananas. They are nutritious and tasty, but we've got to get some scientists on making them last longer.

They are only good for one day. If they're green, they're no good and they stick to your teeth and taste gross. Once they get even one spot on them, they taste gross again and they make me cough (just like green jolly ranchers, which I eat anyway because they taste good).

Solution: Buy them one at a time. Problem: I don't go to the store every day. Solution: Someone should open up a banana stand near campus. (The ones they sell in the Wilk aren't always good). Really though, if a little kid wants to make some money, sell good bananas right next to campus in the morning and around lunch time. Nobody wants to buy lemonade. It doesn't go bad, and it's easy to make. Good bananas, however, are hard to come by.

On a side note, it's always funny when people take bad bananas and stick them in the freezer, pretending that someday they will make banana bread. I wish I had a nickel for each time someone didn't follow through on that one.

8 comments:

Rebekah said...

I whole-heartedly agree. And some people will tell you to just go buy the really green ones and wait for them to be good, but what those people don't understand is that the bananas only have a one-day life and who knows if you're going to want a banana on the day that it's good. You never know until that day comes. So buying bananas in bulk is never a good idea. Hey someone should make a frozen banana stand by campus...there's always money in the banana stand.

EEEJ said...

you know what...I have 2 bananas in my freezer that are black. I thought...i will make banana bread sometime. THe reality is, that is just something we have learned to do in order to not feel guilt for throwing away half our bananas that have gone bad.

oh, and I agree with Rebekah...there is always money in the banana stand,and frozen bananas are a delicious and nutritious treat!

Amanda said...

bek- what ever happened to arrested development & why did they take it away? i miss the banana stand... and the money...
anyway. frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and rolled in almonds is the bestest treat ever. ever.
and i have 4 bananas in my freezer... i need bek to come make them into bread b/c she has a good recipe...

Amanda Wilson said...

So I see Amanda Stromberg has left comments too so I will sign mine mindy so you know who is who. I left the comment on your first post just so you know. Okay, so bananas. I agree, however, since I am allergic to ripe bananas, I actually prefer them a little green. I think they taste better and they don't make my throat itch like ripe ones do. This gives me a little more time than the average person to enjoy bananas because they can stay green for a few days. As for the black bananas. I actually am very good at making banana bread with my bananas that have gone bad. On the same note, I make so much banana bread that the bread usually goes bad before I can use it, so then I end up with the same problem. Waste. I figure that at least it makes my house smell good, right? - Mindy

Chris said...

There's no easy way to do this, so I'm just going to come out and say it: I like my bananas as brown and spotty as they can get without getting bruised. They are oh-so-tasty with little brown spots all over them. No bruises though, just spots.

Nana/Mom said...

Wow! I didn't know you felt the same way I do about bananas. They have a very short shelf life. I don't like them if they even have one brown spot, but I hear from banana authorites that they are much more flavorful if you let them really ripen.
Remember when I would bring a bunch home for a few days and they would be gone before dinner. Those were the days. Now everything spoils. Even the milk

Chris said...

jon your mom hit it right on the head- bananas are WAY for tasty when they get good and ripe.

miles said...

"good and ripe" means "rotten" in my book. How about some banana vendors?